Kennington By-Election – Thursday 25th October 2018
IAN ANDERSON Ashford Independent Candidate
Who am I?
Ian has lived with his wife in Ashford Borough for 35 years. Ian owns and operates his own Consulting Engineering business in Bethersden, specialising in drainage and water resources. Much of his work has been in the international arena but he also assists local communities in which he has always taken a keen interest. He helps to promote and secure what is best for the community.
Ian currently acts as a voice for residents of Bethersden and Chilmington Green and provides expert advice to Shadoxhurst and Hamstreet to ensure that prior consideration is given to guarantee adequate infrastructure consideration, such as flood control, good drainage, is given to all developments. Large-scale developments must manage not only for their own flood water runoff, but also consider the impact in and out of adjoining areas – sadly this is often overlooked.
These are key considerations for residents in Kennington given the planned proposed developments in this area and neighbouring areas.
- Ashford Independent and Ian
- Ian is familiar with key issues and challenges facing Kennington residents as Ian has been following them closely through regular meetings with Cllr Winston Michael (Ashford Independent, Boughton Aluph and Eastwell).
- Ian believes that he has the skills and knowledge to represent the concerns and aspirations for Kennington residents.
- Ian feels passionately that so much uniquely beautiful and productive farmland should not be sacrificed in the race to build houses.
- Equally Ian feels deeply that urban areas such as Kennington Conservation area and surrounding green spaces with special landscapes are precious and must be kept.
- Ian is already working with communities and demonstrating that he puts resident issues first and foremost.
- A can-do attitude is fundamental to his thinking and he never shirks to tackle thorny issues to get the right result.
- Listening is high on his agenda and something that he considers is vital to properly representing residents.
- Ian will always provide a quick response on matters raised by the residents.
How does Ian support the Communities?
- Ian has championed local communities that can benefit from his expertise especially challenging the technical basis of problems associated with inappropriate and sizeable new developments.
- Trying to ensure that all developments are GOOD and overcome the lack of affordable housing for those who work locally in both Urban and associated rural communities.
- Ensuring adequate attention is paid to improving Urban and other infrastructure that serves these communities.
- Ian wants to help them to democratically express their views.
As a Bethersden Parish Councillor Ian has contributed materially to local Parish affairs to ensure that drainage, Highways and land management concerns are raised and resolved. This has taught him to effectively engage local government on behalf of the residents.